I've always loved a good deal - but I like good deals that I just happen upon. Like an 80% off clearance rack at Target. Those are my favorite. I hate coupons. I hate having to think through every single shopping trip trying to find the best deals. I hate having to plan my shopping trips and drag my toddler to 3 different stores. But I love saving money. What's a girl to do? Well this girl has been just toying around with coupons the last 6 months. I'd have a couple of really good weeks, then forget about it for a little while, then try it again...meh.
As many of you know, our home back in Wichita has been on the market for almost 9 months with almost no interest. Each month we have been paying mortgage and utilities on a house we don't even live in, in addition to rent and utilities for our apartment out here. It has been extremely draining to our budget, but by the grace of God we have been able to do this so far without accumulating any debt. We made the commitment before we got married that we would not go into debt outside of a mortgage. It's easy to keep that commitment when times are easy. It's harder during times like we are in now. That little piece of plastic looks really tempting (and it's really easy to justify using it when you're talking about buying groceries - not something trivial like a new pair of shoes). What's a girl to do?
This girl had to do what this girl hated - coupons and deal seeking. *Deep reluctant sigh* Oye. I can honestly say I've never been in a position in my life where I HAD to clip coupons and shop sales. While we've never been rolling in the money, we've always had plenty to fulfill our needs and the majority of our wants. Couponing was just a little extra perk and the money I saved usually went toward a fun date...not toilet paper.
One of my New Years "Resolutions" was to have more resolve. I'm notorious for sticking with something for about two weeks. I really wanted to strive to have more self discipline and more consistency in my goals that I set for myself (and goals we set for our family). Well, God has given me the perfect opportunity to work on that. :-) As with anything in life, you can do it with a grumbling, "why me, God????" attitude or you can chin up and look at it as a challenge and a new adventure. My sin nature naturally wants to choose the first response because its an easy cop out. But where will that get me in life? Bitter and angry. Instead, by much prayer and God's faithfulness, I'm going to choose to look at this phase of life as a challenge and a new adventure.
Two verses I have been clinging to this past month are:
Philippians 4:19 - And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
1 Timothy 6:8 - And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
My goals are small right now. Our monthly budget for food has been $220/month for all of us. This does not include date nights or eating out. It does include breakfast/lunch/dinner for all of us though because Justin packs his lunch every day. My February goal is to absorb the cost of our household products into our grocery budget. We had been paying for those out of a separate cash envelope, but my goal is to not touch that envelope all month. That would be a $20-30/month savings. Doesn't sound like much but over the course of a year it adds up.
So I begin my journey toward becoming a wiser steward of our shopping budget. I'm using this blog as a way to hold myself accountable, but also as a visual reminder for myself during my "off weeks" when I'm just not feeling like mapping out the deals. Another aspect of this new goal that I'm excited about is watching God work through our grocery budget. It's the daily things in life that if you slow down and look for God's hand, He will prove that He is faithful and will (not might - not maybe - but will!) supply our every need...and yes, I do have to remind myself daily that Sonic Happy Hour is not a true need in the grand scheme of life... :-)
Tuesday, February 1, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment