"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."

Friday, February 3, 2012

Friday Food Favorites ~ Slow Cooker Steak Fajitas

These were amazing. Not only were they delicious, but they made my house smell absolutely divine. Who needs an air freshener when you can fill your house with the smell of slow cooker fajita meat...assuming that's your thing? This was my first attempt at making a steak fajita and I always get a little nervous when trying/creating a new recipe. The memories of my first attempt at fajita meat were still haunting me. We were newlyweds and I was trying to be all domestic and create a Chipotle Chicken fajita bowl. I used salt...too much salt. And lime juice...waaaaaay too much lime juice. It was disgusting and I've been pretty traumatized ever since. But, I had all this flank steak sitting in my freezer we've been married for almost 5 years (yikes! that's terrifying to write!), so I figured surely my cooking skills had improved a tad, right? I still made absolutely sure I did not add any lime juice. Zero, zip, zilch, none, nada...you get the idea...

I very loosely followed a recipe but ended up mostly just throwing anything that looked good into the crockpot and kept adjusting until it tasted right. I'll do my best to write down the recipe, but you may need to do some adjustments on your own, especially if you like things spicy (we love spicy, but it doesn't translate well to our toddler and nursing baby phase of life).

Slow Cooker Steak Fajitas

1 ½ lbs Flank Steak, thinly cut

1 – 1 ½ pkgs. Taco Seasoning*

¼ + t. Salt

¼ t. Coarsely ground black pepper

1-2 Garlic cloves, minced

3 T. Soy Sauce (low sodium)

1 Red Onion, sliced into rings

1 Green Pepper, thinly sliced

1 Red Pepper, thinly sliced

1 can (15oz) Diced Tomatoes (if you like it spicy you can substitute with a can of Rotel)

In a small bowl, combine taco seasoning, salt, pepper and garlic. Cut flank steaks in half and rub both sides of meat with seasoning mixture. Arrange in the bottom of slow cooker, lightly greased with cooking spray. Pour Soy Sauce over meat. Arrange onion and peppers on top of steak and top with tomatoes. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 5-6 hours. If it is fully cooked, it should shred with a fork very easily. One hour before serving, shred meat and return to crockpot to continue cooking (and absorbing all the tasty juices).

Place meat onto warmed tortillas and top with your favorite fajita toppings. We used the basic salsa, sour cream, mozzarella cheese and lettuce. The next day we used the leftover fajita meat to make quesadillas and they were deeeeeelicious!

*I love making my own Taco Seasoning! No MSG, no soaring sodium levels and complete control over how spicy you want it!

Homemade Taco Seasoning

1 T. Chili Powder

1 t. Garlic Powder

1 t. Onion Salt

1 t. Cumin

1 t. Paprika

1 t. Sugar

½ t. Oregano

Combine ingredients. 3 Tablespoons of mix equals 1 standard Taco Seasoning package.


No comments:

Post a Comment