"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."

Friday, February 10, 2012

Cheeseburger Soup

This is one of our favorite winter soups. It is hearty, creamy and so good! And when I say "hearty," I mean it. My eyes are always bigger than my stomach when I go to fill up my bowl. But the good part is we always have plenty of leftovers. I've heard rumor that all of the dairy products can be adjusted to low-fat (skim milk, low fat sour cream, etc.) and it won't affect the taste...however, we haven't been brave enough to try it. Why change a good thing? :-)

Cheeseburger Soup

1 lb. Ground Beef

¾ c. Onion, chopped

1 t. Basil

1 t. Dried Parsley

3 c. Chicken Broth

4 large Potatoes, cubed

4 T. Butter

¼ c. All-Purpose Flour

2 c. Cheddar Cheese

1 ½ c. Milk

¼ c. Sour Cream

Salt and Pepper

In a large stockpot, add ground beef, onion, and herbs. Cook until hamburger is browned and onions are tender. Stir in broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer until potatoes are soft (about 15-20 minutes).

In a small pot, whisk butter and flour to create a roux. Slowly add milk and stir until thickened. Gradually add milk mixture to soup, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer. Stir in cheese. When cheese is melted, add sour cream and heat through. Enjoy!

Yield: 6-8 servings


No comments:

Post a Comment