"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Home is Where the Heart is

You see that phrase everywhere. It's on a million different placques and home decor items.

"Home is where the Heart Is." It seems so simple. So easy to understand. But this week it has really become true to me. I absolutely LOVED out home in Wichita. I loved everything about that house. It was sweet, homey, inviting, and decorated in my style. We had just enough room on the main floor and more than enough storage area in our basement. I had a stunning nursery that I had designed. We had a sprawling backyard and a beautiful garden up front. I had a mailbox just a few feet from my front door. We had a garage. I loved that house.

Then we moved to Colorado. I traded in my beautiful home for a tiny apartment. I have blank white walls. I have barely enough room to store all my stuff (but somehow, we managed to make it all fit...thank you Lord!). My baby's room doubles as a storage room. I have to walk a ways to get mail. I have no garden...only a blank patio. My cabinets, tubs and countertops all show the wear and tear of owners who didn't appreciate or take care of their home. BUT you know what...I love this apartment.

I don't love it for the same reasons that I loved my house, but I love it because it is filled with the people I love. My baby still wakes up happy (most times!) in his bed, even if he's not in a beautifully decorated nursery. I still get to snuggle up to my best friend every night before we go to bed, even if it's in our tiny living room with no vaulted ceilings. I still get to go on walks with my baby, even if it's just to get the mail. Instead of playing in our backyard, we walk to the park or the pool (btw, "pool" is Braxton's new word).

I love this place because my heart is here...this is my home.

Our guest bathroom

Looking down the hallway to the Guest Bathroom

Braxton's side of his room

The storage side of his room (I'm not including the other side of the storage part because I'm too embarrassed to let you all think I'm THAT unorganized!)

Braxton's very very packed closet

Taken from our front door. Living, dining and kitchen. The door that is shut leads to the master bedroom

Looking from the dining room to our patio

Love the fireplace. For the first time ever we can hang our stockings by the fireplace this year!

My kitchen. The white door leads to laundry

Another view of the kitchen

Our Master bedroom. Still need to put up pictures over the bed

All of our extra stuff went into our bedroom. I tried to disguise it as best I could with old curtains and pieces of fabric so it wasn't so obvious that it was a "storage" room.

Coat closet (yes, it's in our room...how weird is that?), sink and bathroom/shower

No comments:

Post a Comment